Have you noticed the Mosquitos are already out! Here is a homemade trap to help keep you and the kiddos from being a blood donor!!!
HOMEMADE MOSQUITO TRAP:
1 cup of water
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 gram of yeast
1 2-liter bottle
1. Cut the plastic bottle in half.
2. Mix brown sugar with hot water. Let cool. When cold, pour in the bottom half of the bottle.
3. Add the yeast. No need to mix. It creates carbon dioxide, which attracts mosquitoes.
4. Place the funnel part, upside down, into the other half of the bottle, taping them together if desired.
5. Wrap the bottle with something black, leaving the top uncovered, and place it outside in an area away from your normal gathering area. (Mosquitoes are also drawn to the color black.)
REBLOGGING BECAUSE IMPORTANT
DIY Ice Lick or Dogsicle for Dogs. *EDIT: This is the Kool Dogz but I’m having trouble finding out where it is available for sale now on their website.
There is a short video showing how it’s made.But concept is still the same - freeze water in a bucket with treats, dog toys, chicken broth etc…
Instructions for Kool Dogz or any dogsicle:
- Fill the 96 oz. bucket with water or use chicken/beef broth.
- Add dog toys and treats.
- Freeze the bucket in the freezer until it is hard.
Child abuse is defined as,“The physical, sexual, or emotional mistreatment or neglect of a child.”
Either way you slice it, hitting is abuse. If you hit an adult, it is assault. If you hit a dog, it is animal abuse. And if you hit a child, it is child abuse. Parents who make excuses to hit their children can do so until they are blue in the face. It will not change the fact that they are justifying the abuse of an innocent child.
Still not convinced? Let’s take a look at 8 reasons why you shouldn’t spank your child:
- You are not teaching them what to do. Hitting your child doesn’t teach them what you want them to do or how you think it should be done. It teaches them how to use physical violence to get what they want. Think about it. Do you spank your boss to get a promotion? Do you hit your friends when they don’t respond the way you want them to?
- You are teaching them how to be abusive. In short, you are raising a bully. Children who grow up being hit are far more likely to hit others. They learn that hitting those smaller or less powerful than themselves is not only okay, but necessary. After all, the person they admire the most is engaging in the same behaviors.
- You are creating fear that manifests itself as rebellion. Your child is less likely to ask for your advice or help out of fear of punishment or pain. They will avoid you and as a way of finding their own sense of security, they will rebel. This rebellion allows them to have some control in their over-controlled life.
- You are perpetuating dishonesty. If a child knows that their caretakers will physical abuse them when mistakes are made, they will start to lie to cover them up in order to avoid the abuse. What if this happened in our adult lives? What if your boss smacked you in the face every time you made a mistake at work? Would you openly tell him about your mistake the next time or would you desperately try to cover it up in order to avoid a smack in the face?
- You are breaking their trust. Children will never trust a person who hits them. Just like a dog or any other sentient being will avoid things or people that cause them pain. Trust is broken when physical pain is involved.
- You lose their respect. Respect is mutual, regardless of propriety. By harming your child physically, you have told them that you do not respect them. If they do not feel respected, they will not respect you now nor in the future. Would you respect someone who hits you?
- You are psychologically damaging your child. You set them up for a possible future of drug abuse, self harm, suicide, etc. Would you be able to live with that on your conscience?
- You are causing your child physical pain. To some parents, this is not a big deal. But think about the last time you stubbed your toe, hit your elbow or cut your finger. Now, imagine that the person you loved most in the world stubbed your toe, hit your elbow or cut your finger…on purpose. That is how a child sees a spanking.
Before you spank, ask yourself this question: Would you spank your child in front of a group of people?
I’ve always lived by the philosophy, never do anything in private that you wouldn’t do in public. If you would be ashamed of hitting your child in front of an audience, don’t do it behind closed doors. This goes for words, as well.
I promise, if you live by this, you will live a life empty of regret and full of joy.
Information about the effects of spanking on children.
Some parents spank, swat, slap and hit their children because they believe physical punishment is necessary.
Some mothers and fathers are overwhelmed and hit as a reaction- lots of these parents are searching for another way. They want to gain control of their own emotions and stop hitting their children, but they do not know how.
It will be hard to read some of these articles- none of us wants to harm our children.
I encourage you to lay down your defenses, and consider what is being shared even though it is hard. Rather than jumping to statements like “that’s a bunch of BS” or “I was spanked and I’m fine” maybe we can think “let me consider this… what does this mean if it is true?”
“According to the report, spanking may reduce the brain’s grey matter, the connective tissue between brain cells. Grey matter is an integral part of the central nervous system and influences intelligence testing and learning abilities. It includes areas of the brain involved in sensory perception, speech, muscular control, emotions and memory. Additional research supports the hypothesis that children and adolescents subjected to child abuse and neglect have less grey matter than children who have not been ill-treated.” Click here to read.
For the past several years, many psychiatrists, sociological researchers, and parents have recommended that we seriously consider banning the physical punishment of children. The most important reason, according to Dr. Peter Newell, coordinator of the organization End Punishment of Children (EPOCH)2, is that “all people have the right to protection of their physical integrity, and children are people too.”3 Click here to read.
“When a female’s buttocks are struck, blood rushes to the vulva. There is a sexual component to something that is supposed to be about “discipline” and making the child “mind.” I wish those parents who spank would become aware of the sexual-abuse aspect of it. Maybe that would make them think twice about resorting to this form of punishment.
It is particularly humiliating for a female child to be spanked by an adult male. There is a profound feeling of violation at having one’s genitals struck by this man who is supposed to protect you. It can prompt a female to either seek out abusive males later in life, or develop a lasting fear of/ aversion to the male gender.” Click here to read.
“Children are more vulnerable to trauma because at all ages, even in late adolescence, they are completely dependent upon and under the power of the adults doing harm to them- They have no legal right to get up and walk out, move out or run away. It is this helplessness and confusion about how a “loving protector” or a “just authority” can cause fear and harm that adds the final blow to the child.” Click here to read.
How to Grow an Avocado Tree!
Omg waiting for this to come back around.
I love this duck
I never thought of that this is genius.
When I was considering homelessness, I already knew I’d be doing this. It makes so much sense. Planet Fitness is only $10 a month so it’s not like you wouldn’t be able to afford it.
This is actually true. One of my bestfriends did this. For a few months.
I don’t want to tear! I realize that this is not a unique concern, but I really really really want to avoid tearing with any and all of the power that I may have. So my diet is about to get real real serious (and perineal massage, but who needs to hear about that?).
For example, I just had…
THIS IS SO PRECIOUS MY GOD
Can there be a cartoon show with these characters in it?
This is amazing! ^.^
truebluemeandyou: DIY Adjustable Sliding Knot Bracelet Closure Tutorial - the easiest explanation I’ve seen. Also a link to a really good sliding square knot closure. Reblogging because of the bracelets I’ve recently posted.DIY Adjustable Sliding Knot Bracelet Closure Tutorial from ????. Other than Pinterest, and then sites that reference Pinterest or don’t even publish the entire chart, I cannot find the source for this and that is rare for me. You can also use a square knot closure like this one.
2. The Earth’s Crust
8. Phases of Matter
10. Simple Machines
11. The Moon
15. Earth’s Seasons
16. Light and Colour
19. Outer Space
3. Blood and Circulation
4. Chemical Reactions
5. Static Electricity
6. Food Web
7. Light Optics
8. Bones and Muscles
9. Ocean Currents
13. The Sun
14. The Brain
1. Planets and Moon
4. Rocks and Soil
7. Water Cycle
12. Ocean Life
14. Spinning Things
16. Human Transportation
20. Animal Locomotion
1. Rivers and Streams
3. Marine Mammals
5. NTV Top 11 Video Countdown
7. Pollution Solutions
2. Space Exploration
6. Life Cycles
7. Do-It-Yourself Science
8. Atoms and Molecules
9. Ocean Exploration
10. Lakes and Ponds
15. Comets and Meteors
19. Science of Music
Go watch some science!!!!
I have been waiting for this moment my whole life!
best link ive ever found on tumblr.
So like…I’ve been waiting for this post my entire Tumblr life.